As a woman, we have a lot going on in our bodies. I know I do! Many of those things I don’t think we are quite comfortable talking about. Such as our periods, bloating, and gas. You may have heard this before, everyone gets bloated. My husband is always bloated. So there is nothing to be ashamed about. The thing we should discuss is how to debloat naturally.
What is Bloating?
We all understand what it feels like to be bloated. You feel as though your skin is too tight. Everything you put on is too small, even if you just wore it a day or two ago. And the worst part is nothing looks cute.
That is a general feeling of what is bloating. But really what is bloating?
Bloating is when your stomach is filled with air or gas. (yes women get gas!). Sometimes bloating is often confused with water weight gain. The difference is water weight gain is when you are holding excess water due to excessive salt intake.
Bloating is sometimes due to eating a lot of salt, eating too fast, drinking fizzy or carbonated drinks, or constipation.
The two often go hand in hand but not always. As does being bloating right before your period.
How to debloat naturally
I know you see a lot of commercials and handy pills at Target or Wallgreens promising bloating relief. Honestly, some of that stuff may work, but I would personally use that stuff for when nothing else works. Why?
I wanna do things naturally. (Break that wind girl!)
Here are a few things you can try to debloat naturally.
- Drink plenty of water: As with pretty much anything that has to do with our bodies, you will hear this advice over and over. It is really good advice and one that we should be doing anyway. Water really does help with bloating simply because it is what our bodies need.
- Consider your fiber intake: While increasing your fiber is great to get things moving along, some of have slow moving metablisims and that makes other things move slowly. Causing a “back up” if you will. So while fiber is great to have in your diet, too much of a good thing is not good.
- Eat slower: Remember when your mom told you to slow down and chew your food? Well, that is good advice. Eating fast can cause you to swallow a lot of air, and thus filling you up with “hot air”. (snicker here)
Best Natural Detox for Bloating
If you have read my article on matcha tea then you know how great matcha tea really is. If you haven’t read it, then click here to check it out.
I have found that the best natural detox for me is drinking a matcha smoothie. I discovered a smoothing for this very thing on Goop.com however, I modified it just a little to my own tastes.
Here is what you need:
1 frozen banana
2 1/2 teaspoons of ground ginger. You can use fresh ginger but honestly, I hardly use it, which is why I have ground ginger, you know for the holidays.
1-2 teaspoons of matcha powder
1/4 cup of raspberries and 1/4 of blueberries
for brightness a splash of fresh lemon
1/2 cup of coconut water or if you don’t like it regular water.
blend and enjoy!
3 Day Detox for bloating
There are several things you can do in a three day period to reduce the bloating. As mentioned above one of the best ways you can do this is by drinking water.
Adding cucumber or oranges to your water can help you in so many ways. You see cucumbers are great for decreasing inflammation and oranges are great for your immune system.
Here are three-day water recipes that you can add to your day to help you debloat!
Using a 24 oz reusable bottle fill it with the following:
- 4-6 slices of cucumber
- teaspoon of lemon juice, or 1/2 of a small lemon
- half of an orange sliced into thin slices
- and of course ice cold water.
You can always jazz up your water with a bit of mint, or switch the fruit for apricots and raspberries.
Really yummy water you should try are apples, red delicious, and a cinnamon stick. Throw in orange with some cloves and you have yourself a delicious water cider!
Comment below on which tip helped you out! While you’re at it make sure you sign up for our newsletter so you never miss a post.